Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Does god speak to you?

Two things that irritate me......
I apologize in advance for putting two thoughts into one here.

So back toward the end of October I posted on Facebook a small rant about athletes who point toward the sky after they do something good on the court or field.  Something like, "does god care you hit a field goal."
Jared quipped, "I'd like to see this in the work place."  How awesome would that be?!?!
His was the only comment with humor.  Everyone else lectured me on how god DOES care!  About field goals?  Really?  I'm smart enough to know that is not the point.  It's just irritating.

So the other thing.  "God brought us here." or "I prayed, and God told me this is the right thing to do."
Holy monoamines Batman!  I think Jared eluded to this last week.  Something about common sense not being gods voice.  It's your own common sense.
To take it one step further I would like to approach people when they make these statements and explain to them that "god talking to them" is in all likely hood a dopamenergic response to a thought or emotion.
This is the very reason though, that devout christains will believe no matter how many holes you poke in the Bible.  Why?  "he walks with me, and he talks with me, and he tells me I am his own" - a hymn I remember from my childhood

.....how trivial is all this god talk?  I'm about to walk in and make a sales call to a doctor that is Muslim.
Should I ask him if Mohammed talks to him?

7 comments:

  1. is it irony, consequence, or god talking to me that when I clicked "publish" the next screen had a "pop-up" advertising free Bible downloads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O my god I love this. O my god funny that I just opened with oh my god--reminds me of a time when we were little and Wrighty was over and he said Ohmygod at the table, which wasn't aloud at our house. His flustered response to mom's admonishment--bumbling out "Ohmygod I'm sorry! Oh my god I cant believe I just said that! Ohmygod!"

    Dude. I LOVE your practical pointing out of our own very powerful faculty Common Sense. Right?! The individual can not stand the idea, at the end of the day, of being responsible, ultimately, for herself.

    So here is my prod. What do you think of instinct/gut-feelings/intuition?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instinct/gut-feelings/intuition???

    First of all; who knows? Second, my humble opinion is that these three are products of a combination of our intelligence, our knowledge (certainly seperate), and our experiences. The learning, negatively or positively the lessons that are born from the living out of these experinces.
    They've read alot a books, I've lived alot a life. ~Jay Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Jay Z quote begins with THEY'VE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHHHHHH
    i love that shit
    i used to say that about all my college friends, that i came ass-end in to school: got there when i was 21 and used real life as a tool to make my way in to my intelligence and art--which is writing--but they all were busy using their art--music or writing--to try and figure out how to assimilate life.

    btw i'm bummed there are no elevator pictures!

    ReplyDelete